Can you die from sleep apnea?
Die from sleep apnea: Is it possible?
There are many types of sleep disorders. Sleep Apnea is a serious sleep disorder. A person affected by Sleep Apnea often has trouble breathing while sleeping. They often wake up at night due to lack of oxygen. People who feel sleepy during the day after a long night’s sleep might also be suffering from Sleep Apnea. In sleep apnea, the breathing pattern is disturbed and a person comes to know about this when he visits a doctor. A person can die from sleep apnea if it is not treated.
If daytime fatigue is coupled with loud snoring at night, the person surely would be suffering from Sleep Apnea. Sleeping is important for the body to function normally. If sleep is disturbed then it becomes difficult for a person to concentrate. It can lead to many diseases. Sleep apnea patients have to uses Sleep Apnea machines (CPAP) to fight the symptoms of sleep apnea.
There are many harmful effects of Sleep Apnea. These include daytime fatigue, less strong motor skills, and lack of concentration. All the symptoms of Sleep Apnea affect a person’s motor skills. The person might get involved in an accident if they drive a car or bike. Researchers have spent many years trying to find a cure for Sleep Apnea. Now with modern technology and good healthcare, one can cure their Sleep Apnea.
What happens when a person is affected by Apnea
- People suffering from Sleep Apnea often have trouble sleeping at night.
- Insomnia or the inability to fall asleep quickly also happens when one is affected by Apnea. Also, it causes a person to feel lethargic during the afternoons.
- Though the person gets a long sleep, their body still feels the need for more sleep. Thus, one will feel more drowsy.
- There are several muscles around our windpipe, which stay rigid when we breathe. However, when we sleep, the brain relaxes.
- Sometimes, the brain is not able to ‘tell’ these muscles to continue breathing.
- As a result, these muscles lose their tension and collapse. Thus, it chokes the air supply to the body. This usually happens when a person is in the period of a deep sleep, where REM cycles are at its peak.
Types of Sleep Apnea
Sleep Apnea can be divided into three broad categories, – obstructive, central and complex sleep apnea. The most common form of Apnea is the Obstructive Sleep Apnea. It often occurs when a person is snoring, or the muscles around the windpipe relax a bit. This blocks our windpipe partially. As a result, the body is getting some oxygen, but not enough.
- Central Sleep Apnea – This occurs rarely in people. Central Sleep apnea happens when the brain is not able to transmit signals correctly to the muscles around the windpipe. People that have this problem seldom snore.
- Complex Sleep Apnea – It occurs when a person has both the above-stated problems. It is a severe case and requires fast medical attendance as a person may die from Sleep Apnea.
- Sleep Apnea Symptoms – Sleep Apnea has many symptoms which clearly indicate that the person is affected by it. Certain symptoms are discussed below
- Snoring – If a person snores a lot while sleeping, they might be affected by Sleep Apnea.
- Waking up at night due to a short breath – Usually happens when the person’s body gets less oxygen. The brain then goes into a state of temporary shock, waking up the body in a fast way.
- Daytime fatigue – People often feel drowsy and sleepy during the day. If a person feels this every day, they must be suffering from Sleep Apnea.
- Dry Mouth – People suffering from Sleep Apnea often wake up with a dry mouth.
- Insomnia – A person faces difficulty in falling asleep. It keeps the person prone to lay awake all night.
Can you die from Sleep Apnea?
The answer to the question can you die from Sleep Apnea is simple. Yes, people can die from Sleep Apnea. The famous Hollywood actress Carrie Fisher died in her sleep from Sleep Apnea. When a person is suffering from Sleep Apnea and is sleeping, their body gets less oxygen. The oxygen flow is disturbed because of the deflated muscles blocking the windpipe. As a result, the brain gets less oxygen and goes into a state of shock. Usually, at this point, the person wakes up. However, many times, the lack of oxygen in the body has killed many. The human body needs oxygen to run smoothly. When the body gets less oxygen, it can’t adjust to these new reduced levels of oxygen and organs might fail. One can die from complications that arise from Sleep Apnea. A medical study was done in 2005 indicates that a person is more likely to die in his sleep. Sleep apnea can cause cardiac arrest. People who die from cardiac arrest, but don’t have sleep apnea often die during the day. The people with apnea die while sleeping.
A person who is suffering from Sleep Apnea is much prone to heart attacks and strokes. Also, people who smoke regularly can develop this disease. Those who have high blood pressure can also develop Sleep Apnea.
Sleep Apnea though is severed, but it can be treated. There are many clinical methods that help reduce the risk of Sleep apnea. Today’s technology offers various methods to stop sleep apnea. Here are some methods which can be used to control the symptoms of this disorder.
- Breath helping devices.
Sleep Apnea is a serious condition and one needs to sleep properly in order to carry on with the daily schedule. If sleep is disturbed, a person will have concentration issues. It will also lead to depression and many diseases. Sleep apnea symptoms are serious and it can be reduced with the help of CBD oil. It is a natural and herbal remedy. CBD is a cannabis plant that has some medicinal properties. It can treat the symptoms of sleep disorders, anxiety, depression and much more. The CBD supplements are used for promoting sleep.